Documents for Divorce

Documents for divorce – a broad subject for discussion. If you have found this article you were either looking for documents that need to be filed for divorce or for documents that you need to be ready to provide for your attorney in order to proceed with your divorce.

We can provide sufficient information regarding documents for divorce you, your attorney, or any legal professional will be filing as well as the documents for divorce you will need as you go with the process.

To obtain an uncontested divorce in California, you or your spouse must have been resident here at least 6 months prior to filing your divorce petition. Either party must also have been a resident in the county of filing for at least 3 months. In the list of Documents for divorce, you might have proof of residency (driver’s license, utility bills, ext.)

Documents for divorce in Stage 1

documents for divorce documents for divorce Documents for Divorce documents for divorce 150x150You or your attorney will file the following initial documents for divorce :

Petition, Summons, local forms ( depending on the county your/ your spouse lives), Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act if there are minor kids.

documents for divorce you need to bring to your attorney in Stage 1 are prenuptial/ postnuptial agreement if you have any, retirements/pension statements,  list of personal property, stocks, bonds, mutual funds documents, wills/ trusts if you have any, list of the separate property you have, deeds on the real estates.

If you are filing by yourself,  be sure you know that in California, there are two grounds for uncontested divorce. These are: ‘Irreconcilable differences, which have caused the irremediable breakdown of the marriage’ or ‘Incurable insanity.

If you have an uncontested divorce, you and your spouse will also need to agree the terms of your Marital Settlement Agreement or Stipulated judgment with regards to division of property, assets, liabilities, child support, and child custody. This agreement will also disclose tax returns.

Stage 2 – Serving Your Forms

In order to serve your spouse, you will need:

  1. An Original filed Petition for Divorce form
  2. A filed Summons form

If you need more space on your Petition form to state your property and debts, you will need the Property Declaration form.

The Declaration Under Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act is necessary if you have minor children from this relationship.

Take the original forms plus two additional copies to the Court Clerk of your local court for filing. The clerk will ‘conform’ the papers by stamping and dating them. He/she will also assign a case number. You can now serve a conformed copy of the divorce papers plus an Acknowledgement of Receipt form to your spouse.

In legal proceedings, you are known as the Petitioner and your spouse is known as the Respondent.

California law states that your spouse must be served the divorce papers by a ‘disinterested’ adult over the age of 18. The ‘server’ must complete a Proof of Service form and return it to you for filing.

The respondent has 20 days to sign the Acknowledgement of Receipt form and return it to you for filing, and 30 days to file a response to the divorce Petition in court.

documents for divorce in Stage 3 – The Disclosure Period

At this stage of the divorce proceedings, you must sign and give your spouse:

  1. A Declaration of Disclosure form
  2. A Schedule of Assets and Debts
  3. An Income and Expense form

Remember to keep a copy of these forms for your personal records. When you have given them to your spouse, you must both sign a Proof of Disclosure form and file it in court.

This disclosure stage must be completed within 60 days of filing your original divorce Petition.

Documents for divorce you need to provide to your attorney at this stage depending if it is contested/uncontested divorce .You have to provide individual/business income tax returns for past three to five years, proof of your/spouse’s income (W-2)

Documents for divorce if you have UNCONTESTED divorce Stage 4 – Finalizing Your Divorce

To finalize your divorce, you will need to sign and file the following documents for divorce:

  1. A Declaration for Uncontested Divorce form
  2. A Judgment form
  3. A Notice of Entry of Judgment form
  4. An Appearance, Stipulation and Waivers form
  5. An Income Expenses form (including your last 3 pay stubs or profit loss statement attached)
  6. The Schedule of Assets and Debts form
  7. Your Marital Settlement Agreement/ Stipulated judgment

Documents for divorce necessary to be provided to your attorney as well as the forms for filing would significantly vary whether you have contested or uncontested divorce.

If you have highly contested divorce wit unsettled property division issues and child custody, your attorney would do discovery with the request for additional document’s production from your spouse depending on the specific facts of your case.

Call TODAY for free case evaluation 714-390-3766